At-home workouts are suitable for people who want to be fit but live busy lives or for whatsoever reason can’t go to a gym.
If you find yourself in this category, at-home workouts are suitable for you.
Personally, at-home workouts are my favourite. This happened not by choice but by circumstance. As a medical student with a part-time job – you can only imagine how busy that life was. I had little time to spare for the gym. And I love fitness. I consider myself a fitness enthusiast.
Fitness is one of those things that changed my life. So imagine not being able to do what I love because of studies and my part-time work – not going to happen. So I dug deep and realized a way to get what I wanted – to be fit and still live my life. I started doing push-ups. At first, I did 20, then 30. I realized going upwards 40 made me tired and less productive the whole day so I stuck with 30. In no time, I developed a bigger chest.
Push-ups alone will give you a bigger chest and a nice posture. But the problem was this wasn’t proportional. So I had to do something. Then I got some at-home workout equipment. That was the piece that completed the puzzle for me. Ever since I’ve stuck with at-home workouts. I still plan to go to the gym when I’m less busy of course.
Do You Need to Go to a Gym?
When a lot of people think about fitness, they think “lifting weights in a gym”. Contrary to that, you don’t necessarily need to lift weights to be fit. If you know how the muscle grows, then you understand what I mean.
Not everyone has the time to go to a gym. The average adult has a job, goes to work, has a family, a tight schedule and other commitments with limited time to spare.
Exceptions are bodybuilding and bulking. If any of these is your goal, then at-home workouts are not for you. It seems that the majority of people are not into these though. Some people just want to be fit and healthy without bulking. If you find yourself in this category, at-home workouts are for you.
Benefits of At-home Workouts
1. They’re convenient. It can be done in the comfort of your home, at any time. You don’t need to dress up to go to a gym — which alone can discourage you from going to a gym. If you like you can work out in your pyjamas after waking up. There are no rules on what to wear and how to behave. It’s your home!
2. They’re cheap. You won’t be paying for a gym subscription or an instructor monthly. You are basically doing it yourself with your equipment. This saves a lot of costs and can help you slim down your budgets. Nothing is more discouraging in fitness than being unable to pay for a gym subscription. At-home workouts are here for you.
3. They’re reliable. You can always count on your at-home workout equipment. You can start with no equipment and upgrade later to some simple at-home workout equipment. You don’t have to play by the rules and timing of a gym.
4. They’re easy to do. There are techniques for lifting dumbbells and barbells. It isn’t easy to learn on your own. Most times you need a gym instructor when you’re just starting. You might hurt yourself if you don’t know how to use gym equipment. With at-home workouts, this is not so. You will rarely hurt yourself and they are easier to do.
5. Mobility is guaranteed. You can take your at-home workout equipment with you, in your suitcase or gym bag, wherever you go, to your place of work, on trips, to the park. This is a great advantage over weight training as it gives you the opportunity to be fit all year round no matter the situation — except you somehow find yourself in a situation where it’s impossible to do workouts.
Even though there are lots of benefits to these, at-home workouts have their disadvantages also
1. It takes longer than weight training to achieve your goal. You are going to need to persist more to reach your goal. On the average gym equipment give more resistance than anything you would be using at home, so results with them are quicker. At-home workout equipment varies, your results will depend on what you’re using and how effective they are.
2. It can be boring. A gym is a social place where you meet like-minds and since you’re working out at home usually by yourself with no one to talk with, you can get bored easily.
3. It’s not as effective as weight training. Truth is at-home workouts are not as effective as gym workouts or it might take a long time for you to develop the same result. If you just want to be fit and don’t really care about physique, this is for you. If physique is a priority, then I advise you to go to the gym and do weight training from time to time.
At-home workouts are suitable for you if you are too busy to go a gym. There are no excuses for fitness. They are convenient, cheap, reliable, easy to do and mobile.
You can start with no equipment like I did and get some simple equipment later on.
Even if you go to a gym, you can still supplement that with at-home workouts. This will not only quicken but also enhance your results.